Quick and Easy Filipino Christmas (or New Year) Recipes
You are reading this article because you need quick and easy recipes for Christmas (or New Year). You, maybe, are a procrastinator as well. You haven’t got anything in mind to cook and it’s Christmas eve. Or you have been busy at work and tonight is just the only quality time left for you and your family. Or you are just lazy enough to plan ahead. Okay enough of the bashing. You are actually reading this so someone can save you from the fiery fires of hell. Jesus would not be happy if you don’t celebrate Christmas with a dinner at least.
It is the 24th and all over the world Filipinos, big or small, brown, yellow, black or white are jumping like monkeys because we actually celebrate our Christmas after the clock strikes 12 on the morning of the 25th. So let’s start cooking.
I have 3 Christmas (or New Year, whichever night you would likely to mess up) recipes for you. Let’s start with a starter, a main and a dessert.
1. Get some prawns
2. Marinate it in Mountain Dew, Lift or any lime drink (ah, ah, ah, don’t you ever argue) or some homemade lemonade, the level of the fizzy drink should be the same as the amount of your prawns. At least 2 hours in there.
3. Chop some garlic and brown it in the wok with a generous, that means more than 2 tablespoons, amount of butter. Take the garlic off and set it aside.
4. No more garlic in the wok? Pour 1 cup of your softdrink marinade. Turn the heat up and watch it closely until it gets thick.
5. Once it gets thick, give it a name. Like some French Sauce name or name it after your pet. Then dunk the prawns in. And cover it. Make sure that you don’t overcook your prawns. 5 minutes is good for cooking a kilo of prawns. Or else you will kill them. They will turn out dry. You know you have overcooked them when shells look dry and the prawn has shrunk. Intiendes?
6. Take them off the heat, onto the serving plate and sprinkle your browned garlic.
Homemade Leg of Pork Ham
This is not your commercial months-old ham so don’t expect to hear bells tolling when you cut through it later. But this tastes so good that your family will love you and won’t lock you in the basement anymore. You need 7 hours for this. You can start at 3 pm and by 12AM, 25th of December, you will have ham on your Christmas table. Let’s go.
1. Get a Leg of Pork or if you don’t know how to spot them, ask your butcher what cut is used to make Christmas ham (he will probably think you are an idiot because it’s just hours away before Christmas and you can’t make a ham in 1 day). Ask him to debone it and tie for you. He will do that.
2. Get your Leg of Pork and cure it quickly. Cover it with a lot of salt and sugar. And I mean a lot. Wrap it in cling film and store it in the fridge. Two hours there.
3. After 2 hours. Take it off and wash it. You cured it to make the skin tougher when you give it a hot bath later for 4 hours. (If you don’t want to go with the curing process, get a pickled pork.) Let’s defy the butcher’s discriminating thoughts. Get a can of fruit. Any combination will do as long as it has juice in it and or syrup. Get some apples, onions, garlic, and cloves dunk your leg of pork in the pot with all your fruits and spices. If you don’t know the ratio, here: 1 whole onion for each kilo and half a garlic head for each kilo, a can of fruit for 2 kilos and an apple for a kilo. Confused? Goodness! 1 whole onion for each kilo and half a garlic head for each kilo, a can of fruit for 2 kilos and an apple for a kilo! Gets? Or do you need me to say 1 whole onion for each kilo and half a garlic head for each kilo, a can of fruit for 2 kilos and an apple for a kilo again? You are tiring me ya know!
But wait, there’s more! Add a lot of whole black peppercorns. Simmer it low heat for 4 hours.
5. That’s cooked. All you have to do is glaze it. Put it in the oven in 200 deg cel. And baste it with your Christmas juice from time to time. Once it has turned Christmas-ish red, take it off, pour some maple syrup on it, score the skin and decorate. Done Amigo.
1. Pasta. Do the al-dente for the macaroni. We will assume that you are at least doing a kilo of this.
2. Dressing. While you are waiting for that, mix 2 cups of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a little bit of chopped shallots or red onions if you don’t have any and salt, 2 tablespoon of pickle relish, 2 tablespoons of raisins, 1 can of crushed pineapple chunks and Rudolph’s red nose. Let this sucker sit and wait.
3. Meat. Cook some chicken breasts. Half a kilo of it in the pot, with water, 1 onion, salt and sugar. No garlic please. this is a dessert for crying out loud. After they’re cooked, which takes about 20 minutes in the pot, peel thin strands off of it until you can peel no more.
4. Mix the dressing, pasta and meat in a huge thingy-thingy and stick in the fridge.
My goodness you are done sir!
How was it for a quick and easy Christmas or New year recipe? You can do it. Multi-task.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from Myfilipinokitchen!!!!!